This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
[RFC] Statistics of non-ASCII characters in strings
- From: "Wilco Dijkstra" <wdijkstr at arm dot com>
- To: <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 14:46:24 -0000
- Subject: [RFC] Statistics of non-ASCII characters in strings
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
Does anyone have statistics of how often strings contain non-ASCII characters? I'm asking because
it's feasible to make many string functions faster if they are predominantly ASCII by using a
different check for the null byte. So if say 80-90% of strings in strcpy/strlen are ASCII then it
would be well worth optimizing for it.