This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Simplify strncat.
- From: David Miller <davem at davemloft dot net>
- To: eggert at cs dot ucla dot edu
- Cc: neleai at seznam dot cz, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 15:52:47 -0500 (EST)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Simplify strncat.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20141216202438 dot GA5612 at domone> <54909B1E dot 9040201 at cs dot ucla dot edu>
From: Paul Eggert <email@example.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 12:50:38 -0800
> Thanks, this is much better than worrying about how to pacify GCC. The
> code could be made a bit shorter and clearer with mempcpy, and there's
> no longer any need to distinguish between s and s1, so I suggest the
> following minor rewrite, which shrinks the code size by another 26
> bytes (16%) on my x86-64 platform.
The fact that we are talking about complete rewrites for what should
be a one line warning fix shows that we enabled -Werror prematurely.
This should have been a no-brainer, yet it is going to take a week to
fix something that is breaking the build for people.