This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: -Werror now enabled by default
- From: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Andreas Schwab <schwab at suse dot de>
- Cc: <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 12:55:18 +0000
- Subject: Re: -Werror now enabled by default
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1412100115170 dot 18857 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <mvm4mt3x5vu dot fsf at hawking dot suse dot de>
On Wed, 10 Dec 2014, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Joseph Myers <email@example.com> writes:
> > I've committed the patch to enable -Werror by default. I get a clean
> > build and test on x86_64 with GCC 4.9
> You should test at least on all major platforms.
You have --disable-werror for temporary use until all the warnings are
fixed for configurations you're testing (however, it's definitely expected
that as part of the release process architecture maintainers should get a
clean build for their architectures without --disable-werror).
The principle of getting it working for one platform and then distributing
the work of fixing warnings on other platforms was already stated in
<https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2014-11/msg00798.html> with no
In any case, I did test for and fix various warnings on 32-bit x86, ARM,
MIPS and Power during the process of getting the build clean for x86_64 -
even if they aren't 100% clean right now, there are plenty of examples of
fixing warnings to take as a guide for fixing others.
Joseph S. Myers