Re: -Werror policy

Generally agreed.

However, I think we should probably write some internal macro using _Pragma
that becomes the idiom rather than the whole push/pop boilerplate.  We
might even make the "mandatory comment" items be (ignored) string arguments
to the macro, so it is quite hard to accidentally fail to supply the
information.

We should never use per-file -Wno-* options in makefiles.  If there is a
file-wide issue, we can just put:
	#pragma GCC diagnostic ignored "-Wfoo"
near the top of the file (but usually after all its #include lines so it
does not affect code from headers).  In the same vein, but separate from
-Werror issues, we should have a long-term goal of eliminating all per-file
flags settings in favor of pragmas and/or attributes in the source files.

Thanks,
Roland