This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: RFC: mblen() return code when n is zero
- From: Paul Eggert <eggert at cs dot ucla dot edu>
- To: Rajalakshmi Srinivasaraghavan <raji at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 22:46:16 -0800
- Subject: Re: RFC: mblen() return code when n is zero
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <5461A2B7 dot 5070402 at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>
Rajalakshmi Srinivasaraghavan wrote:
The return code 0 and -1 can both be justified when n=0.
As a user of these functions, I'd far rather that mblen and mbtowc returned -1
when given empty inputs. Having them return 0 implies that they've gone past
the boundaries of their input buffers, which really ought to be a no-no.