This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Minimum GCC version for building glibc
- From: "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>
- To: Joseph Myers <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2014 08:41:02 -0500
- Subject: Re: Minimum GCC version for building glibc
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <Pine dot LNX dot 4 dot 64 dot 1410311352200 dot 4263 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk> <5453A635 dot 1060105 at redhat dot com> <alpine dot DEB dot 2 dot 10 dot 1411041310060 dot 2435 at digraph dot polyomino dot org dot uk>
On 11/04/2014 08:11 AM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2014, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>>> * Should 4.6 or 4.7 be the minimum?
>> GCC 4.7 please.
>>> * Should we give a recommendation for a specific version or "X or newer",
>>> or just specify the minimum without a separate recommendation?
>>> Experience says the recommendation gets out of date (I don't think 4.6 is
>>> really likely that widely used for building glibc now), and none of the
>>> other components come with such a recommendation in install.texi.
>> I think "GCC 4.6 or newer" is good enough.
> Do you mean "GCC 4.7 or newer"?
> So far we have you and Paul Eggert saying 4.7 as minimum, while David
> Miller is using 4.6 and no-one else has commented.