Re: C11 threads ABI questions - enum values

On Fri, 3 Oct 2014, Rich Felker wrote:

> The kernel position is that O_SEARCH and O_EXEC can be done by
> userspace in terms of O_PATH, but I'm not sure that's correct. There's

Looking back at the linux-api discussion from Aug 2013, I don't see that;
it seems to have tailed off without a conclusion but with at least some
suggestions that these features should be implemented in the kernel.

> an old thread (I think libc-alpha was CC'd on it but I'm not sure)
> about that. O_TTY_INIT could probably be done in userspace too and
> that might be what they expect us to do for it, too...

In both cases, even if things are to be implemented in userspace, the
values need reserving in the kernel to ensure there aren't cases where the
kernel is providing useful semantics for some value that aren't readily
accessible from userspace because that value is used in libc for something
else.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com