This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Rolling master branch
- From: "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>
- To: Allan McRae <allan at archlinux dot org>, Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh at redhat dot com>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2014 13:19:08 -0400
- Subject: Re: Rolling master branch
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20140929082252 dot GB2217 at spoyarek dot pnq dot redhat dot com> <54294C54 dot 8000409 at archlinux dot org>
On 09/29/2014 08:11 AM, Allan McRae wrote:
> And, if you are still here after that wall of text, my opinion on
> branching for release and continuing development on master are
> pessimistic. Every experience I have of that situation is that releases
> take substantially longer due to focus - or at least resources -
> remaining on the master branch. As pointed out above, I think we are
> under-tested anyway in terms of gcc/binutils/etc coverage and architectures.
Every experience I have also suggests it actually causes the release to take
longer as developers focus on new-shiny instead of testing.
Allan, Thank you very much for volunteering to be a release manager, and for
your perspective on how to speed things up.