This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Thoughts on bug 15884
- From: Paul Eggert <eggert at cs dot ucla dot edu>
- To: Leonhard Holz <leonhard dot holz at web dot de>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 10:37:37 -0700
- Subject: Re: Thoughts on bug 15884
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <5416A626 dot 3050501 at web dot de> <54171E87 dot 8050604 at redhat dot com>
Thanks, Leonhard, for taking this on. Carlos's suggestions are good
ones. One other idea is to see how GNU sort's performance is affected,
as strcoll has long been a bottleneck in its performance. The fun part
is that GNU sort is multithreaded, and perhaps that'll give you some
ideas for your microbenchmark.
Quick war story: I once tried to optimize GNU sort by using strxfrm
instead of strcoll. It made performance waaayy worse. Oops. To this
day I don't know what strxfrm is good for in practice.