This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Propose to Use madvise API on Runtime Loader
- From: lin zuojian <manjian2006 at gmail dot com>
- To: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 09:28:55 +0800
- Subject: Propose to Use madvise API on Runtime Loader
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
I am trying to reduce the memory foot print of shared objects.After
examine the layouts of many shared objects, I find out that the start
part of a shared object will be seldom needed.
So I add the following code to the runtime loader:
madvice(si->base, si->rel + si->rel_count * 8, MADV_DONTNEED);
And Find out the foot print drops proportionally dramatically.
An very big shared object(libwebcore.so), drops from 7MB to 4MB.
So I think it's a good idea to add this technique to the future
madvice tell *nix system to let go the page table and the page in
the specify range. But not the vma.