This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH 1/25] Remove nested functions: crypt/md5-crypt.c
- From: Konstantin Serebryany <konstantin dot s dot serebryany at gmail dot com>
- To: Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh at redhat dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 21 May 2014 15:35:43 +0400
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/25] Remove nested functions: crypt/md5-crypt.c
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <CAGQ9bdzqT1EyXYMwACrHpPU=vPjM_b72LJRjb7BW_OzJRXG3bw at mail dot gmail dot com> <20140520131314 dot GB14500 at spoyarek dot pnq dot redhat dot com> <CAGQ9bdw=-pzbi00gn5t_W8pXBjU0edFvLGMNUc+o=g9og=f9+Q at mail dot gmail dot com> <20140520144605 dot GE14500 at spoyarek dot pnq dot redhat dot com> <CAGQ9bdz44LJM6SY83vwGEyOKHScOQor6xVJ1xADEOrcskhot7A at mail dot gmail dot com> <20140520154645 dot GI14500 at spoyarek dot pnq dot redhat dot com>
On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar <email@example.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 07:25:52PM +0400, Konstantin Serebryany wrote:
>> With salt == "$1$" I get this profile:
>> 84.70% a.out libcrypt-2.15.so [.] __md5_process_block
>> 5.98% a.out libc-2.15.so [.] __memcpy_ssse3_back
>> 4.71% a.out libcrypt-2.15.so [.] __md5_process_bytes
>> 1.92% a.out libcrypt-2.15.so [.] __md5_crypt_r
>> 1.62% a.out libcrypt-2.15.so [.] __md5_finish_ctx
>> Again, __md5_crypt_r is within noise.
> That's good.
>> >> Another thing that can be done is to look at the code generated for the
>> >> relevant file before and after the patch - I'd expect very little change.
>> I like this method much more, but there is actually a change.
>> The original binary has calls to b64_from_24bit.7858 (the nested function),
>> while in the binary built with my patch these calls are inlined.
>> Of course, this is a feature of a particular version of GCC, not of
>> the glibc code.
> Given that this does not have a very big impact, I'm inclined to
> accepting this change. I'll push it in on Thursday after noon UTC if
> nobody objects.
I realized that two other files have the same situation with the
md5-crypt.c, sha256-crypt.c, and sha512-crypt.c have exactly the same
implementations of b64_from_24bit as a nested function.
One possible fix is to move those two out and make them regular static
functions, just like I did in md5-crypt.c.
Another solution is to create just one implementation of
b64_from_24bit and place it somewhere else.
For example declare it as __b64_from_24bit in crypt-private.h and
implement it in crypt_util.c.