This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PING] RFC [PATCH] BZ#1077902: New API gettimezone
- From: P J P <pj dot pandit at yahoo dot co dot in>
- To: Paul Eggert <eggert at cs dot ucla dot edu>, "libc-alpha at sourceware dot org" <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 01:30:57 +0800 (SGT)
- Subject: Re: [PING] RFC [PATCH] BZ#1077902: New API gettimezone
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <1396499286 dot 85118 dot YahooMailNeo at web192405 dot mail dot sg3 dot yahoo dot com> <1397301884 dot 32837 dot YahooMailNeo at web192402 dot mail dot sg3 dot yahoo dot com> <534971E4 dot 6060001 at cs dot ucla dot edu>
- Reply-to: P J P <pj dot pandit at yahoo dot co dot in>
> On Saturday, 12 April 2014 10:33 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> The underlying application problem can already be addressed in a standard way,
> by setting and getting the TZ environment variable;
How is user to know what value to set for TZ to get the correct(same as system) time?
> And even if the need were greater, the proposed implementation does not work in
> general, because TZ binary files do not always end with strings that are
> appropriate TZ settings.
Agreed. That is why it is up for review. Nobody said accept the given patch and make it an API.