Re: Fixing wiki performance by purging non-editing wiki users.

On 02/05/2014 12:17 AM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04, 2014 at 01:12:26PM -0500, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/EditorGroup
>>
>> If you are not in the EditorsGroup then a wiki account is of no use
>> to you, therefore we remove your account.
>>
>> This ignores users which are registered, getting notifications, but
>> not editing. If you are in that category you will need to recreate
>> an account.
>>
>> This will not prevent spammers from creating more accounts and
>> slowing down everything again, but it buys us some time while we
>> search for and implement a solution like a white-list for creating
>> accounts.
>>
>> If you are opposed to this solution please speak up now before we
>> delete your account :-)
>
> Could we wait for a while (say, a week) and then do the accounts
> purge?  That should be enough time for folks who have not edited the
> wiki yet, but would like to keep the account just in case, to
> respond with their wiki usernames so that you could add those to the
> EditorGroup and not delete their accounts.

Wait a whole excruciating week of slow editing? ;-)

I have reworded "2.4. Editing the wiki" to read:
~~~
Owing to automated spammers we have switched to only allowing
those people in the EditorGroup to participate in the wiki.
If you would like to participate in the wiki please email your
request to libc-alpha@sourceware.org or contact one of the
editors in EditorGroup and have them vouch for you and add you
to the list. If your user is not in the EditorGroup your account
will be purged when we purge spam accounts out of the database.
You should always have yourself added to EditorGroup as quickly
as possible in order to participate in the wiki (and avoid
being purged)! We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please help
make the world a better place by helping prevent spam.
~~~

I think the policy from now going forward will be that only
accounts in EditorGroup are going to be valid and safe from
purging. Purging will happen automatically on a semi-regular
basis.

Unfortunately owing to a miscommunication I think that overseers
has already purged the glibc wiki of all non-EditorGroup accounts.
It certainly seems like the wiki is very responsive, so I'd say
it's already been done :-) I've included Frank to find out if it
has happend yet or not.

If the database has already been purged and you would like to
participate you should create your account again and ask to be
added to the EditorGroup.

Cheers,
Carlos.