Re: Consensus summary around changing GLIBC PPC64 LE ABI default to 2.17

On 01/02/14 11:30, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
> On 01/31/2014 07:08 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
>>> (c) Move the ABI baseline to GLIBC_2.17.
>>>
>>> - This is what Red Hat and IBM propose to support 2.17-based and newer
>>>   distributions in the PPC64 LE ecosystem.
>>>

>> Is this considered as the new policy or an exception?
>
> I view this as an exception that is a direct result of this and other
> discussions.
>
> New ports should always aim to follow (a). It avoids all of us spending
> Fridays talking about the benefits and merits of rebuilds versus symbol
> porting and the risks therein.

Is it really going to be an exception?  What will happen when the next
architecture is made that enterprise distros want to support?   Will the
ABI baseline be set to the next glibc release version, or will it need
set to a value determined by what glibcs are being run by interested
distros?   And what if a distro misses the initial discussion and it
turns out they need an older version of glibc to be supported.

The argument "no major enterprise distribution has been released with a
glibc patched like this" for moving the baseline ABI to common ground
will always apply.  And this will set the precedent, whether we call it
an exception or not.

For what it is worth, having spent my Saturday morning reading through
every message about this, I see no way to do what I see is best for
glibc (set ABI at 2.19), what is best for some distros (leave it at
2.18) and best for other distros (change to 2.17).  Any course of action
is going to leave people unhappy.  But changing to 2.17 is probably best
for the uptake of the architecture, so I can see why the machine
maintainer would select that.  And in the long run it means the
architecture will be better supported in glibc, so that decision is not
that bad for glibc either.

Allan