Re: [COMMITED][BZ #16375] Fix spelling in manual

Ville Skyttà <ville.skytta@iki.fi> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2014 at 2:25 AM, Nix <nix@esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 30 Dec 2013, OndÅej BÃlka said:

>>> ion \n-which you can get with functions targetted to this purpose described in \
>>> ion \n+which you can get with functions targeted to this purpose described in \n
>>>                                             ^ ^

>> This is not a spelling correction, but a change from one dialectical
>> variation (British English, or more generally Commonwealth English) to
>> another (US English).

> I don't claim to be anywhere near an expert on this, but FWIW before
> submitting the patch, I checked these:

> http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/target ("British
> & World English")
> http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/american_english/target
> ("American English")

> Both of them say "Do not double the final consonant when adding endings
> which begin with a vowel to a word which ends in a vowel plus a
> consonant, if the stress is not at the end of the word: (targets,
> targeting, targeted)."

The OED has targeted and targeting and does not have targetted or
targetting (at all, not even as a variation).  I usually consider the OED
canonical for British English.

Maybe Nix was thinking of travelling / traveling, which is indeed a
British vs. American English spelling difference?

English spelling is deliriously weird.

--
Russ Allbery (eagle@eyrie.org)              <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>