This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PING][PATCH][BZ #15073] Fix race in free.
- From: "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos at redhat dot com>
- To: Maxim Kuvyrkov <maxim at kugelworks dot com>, David Miller <davem at davemloft dot net>, Andreas Schwab <schwab at linux-m68k dot org>
- Cc: GLIBC Devel <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, OndÅej BÃlka <neleai at seznam dot cz>
- Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2013 18:15:54 -0500
- Subject: Re: [PING][PATCH][BZ #15073] Fix race in free.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20131210194349 dot GA19644 at domone dot podge> <20131218102757 dot GC6559 at domone dot podge> <C593C68D-FF0C-4C46-93E2-4A3ABA33E84B at kugelworks dot com> <20131221205921 dot GA3549 at domone dot podge> <30A9C720-86CB-48CB-B931-00A83542DC84 at kugelworks dot com> <20131223163345 dot GA5291 at domone> <51908F04-0FFD-4143-8DED-EE0A9E05AC15 at kugelworks dot com>
On 12/27/2013 06:05 PM, Maxim Kuvyrkov wrote:
> Dave, Carlos, Andreas,
> Consider backporting fix [*] for BZ #15073
> (https://sourceware.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=15073) to your
> respective release branches.
> The bug is present since 2.12, conditioned on ATOMIC_FASTBINS, which
> became unconditional default in 2.15. Therefore backporting to 2.12
> and 2.14 is optional, but 2.15 onwards is very desirable.
> The patch applies cleanly to 2.15 onwards.
> The essence of the fix is to avoid "chunksize(old)" memory reference
> since OLD can be deallocated if !HAVE_LOCK.
> [*] 362b47fe09ca9a928d444c7e2f7992f7f61bfc3e
> Let me know if you have any questions or if the fix does not appear
> to be obvious/safe.
So the way this works is that the responsibility for backporting
and testing the bacported patch falls to the developer making
the backport request. The branch maintainer is only responsible
for reviewing and ACK'ing or NACK'ing that request.
Thus if there are interested parties in getting this fixed for
any non-trunk branches then those parties need to backport, test,
and submit the patch as usual for ACK'ing by the branch maintainer.