This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: netresolve: name resolution library project announcement
- From: Florian Weimer <fweimer at redhat dot com>
- To: Pavel Simerda <psimerda at redhat dot com>, libc-alpha <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 11:02:19 +0100
- Subject: Re: netresolve: name resolution library project announcement
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <301225302 dot 13988967 dot 1383944927282 dot JavaMail dot root at redhat dot com>
On 11/08/2013 10:08 PM, Pavel Simerda wrote:
I would like to announce a new project called *netresolve* I started at sourceware.org. All started with a regression I experienced when using `ssh` to connect to a literal IPv6 link-local address caused by a Fedora patch to glibc. I wanted to know more about the original problem they were trying to solve and after some testing and source reading I found numerous bugs and limitations in the glibc network name resolution stack.
The name collides with NetBSD's continuation of the libbind (BIND 8)
Considering the overlap in functionality, I don't think if the
additional "e" is sufficient disambiguation.
Florian Weimer / Red Hat Product Security Team