This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [RFC][BZ #11064] Warn when ldconfig encounters ambiguous SONAME.
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- To: OndÅej BÃlka <neleai at seznam dot cz>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 14:33:30 -0800 (PST)
- Subject: Re: [RFC][BZ #11064] Warn when ldconfig encounters ambiguous SONAME.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20131026102357 dot GA18454 at domone dot podge> <20131031201911 dot 8BEE9746A1 at topped-with-meat dot com> <20131031213246 dot GC30820 at domone dot podge>
> On Thu, Oct 31, 2013 at 01:19:11PM -0700, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > Needs a test case. Should be doable using -r.
> > The time-based hack is not robust. It really needs to check for conflicts
> > directly. Since ldconfig works as it goes, it would be destructive if it
> > just kept track along the way. So I think to do this right it really needs
> > to do a first scan-only pass where it decides what it will do and records
> > it all without touching anything, and then a final pass (if it didn't error
> > out during the first pass) that actually commits. That is substantially
> > more work, but it's the only way to be robust that I can think of.
> That is why I made this a warning.
Then its lack is a false sense of security.