This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Make memset in calloc a tail call.
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>
- To: OndÅej BÃlka <neleai at seznam dot cz>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2013 11:07:00 -0800 (PST)
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Make memset in calloc a tail call.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20131107203149 dot GA21816 at domone>
That seems fine. There is no reason not to do it even if the compiler
(eventually) would have figured it out.
I also don't see any reason to keep the hand-unrolled code for memset < 8.
The compiler and/or memset implementation should optimize that case well
enough. Of course that is an orthogonal change, and it should be verified
that the generated code does not get manifestly worse performance.