This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] PowerPC64 ELFv2 ABI 2/6: Remove function descriptors
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: Ulrich Weigand <uweigand at de dot ibm dot com>
- Cc: <amodra at gmail dot com>, <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Wed, 13 Nov 2013 15:41:15 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] PowerPC64 ELFv2 ABI 2/6: Remove function descriptors
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <201311131530 dot rADFUSIn002782 at d06av02 dot portsmouth dot uk dot ibm dot com>
On Wed, 13 Nov 2013, Ulrich Weigand wrote:
> However, there are assembler files where none of this applies. This is
> typically files that define only data objects. We had thought to maybe
> force these to use .abiversion, but it turns out that this would have
> required annoying changes (even in glibc we have platform-independent
> assembler source files defining data --- these would have had to be
> patched with powerpc-specific code), for no real good reason: such
> files (data only) are actually compatible with either ABI anyway!
On ARM, we found that putting .eabi_attribute directives in sysdep.h (to
specify required and maintained stack alignment, a similar case where
default assembler output isn't compatible with compiler output) covered
almost all assembly sources in glibc, leaving only a handful of .S files
needing such directives directly in the .S file.
Joseph S. Myers