This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] Add STATIC_GETENV macro.
- From: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- To: OndÅej BÃlka <neleai at seznam dot cz>
- Cc: Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat dot com>, <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 17:41:52 +0000
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] Add STATIC_GETENV macro.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20131109103822 dot GA9173 at domone> <527F3B35 dot 7050108 at redhat dot com> <20131110085500 dot GA5991 at domone> <52801056 dot 1080404 at redhat dot com> <20131111094510 dot GA10446 at domone dot podge>
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013, Ondrej Bilka wrote:
> > The other issue is that we must support users compiling programs
> > with much older compilers than we support building glibc. When
> > were the __sync* builtins added? Can you always rely on them?
> > I thought they were being deprecated in favour of the atomic
> > builtins? I think you need several ifdefs there to account for
> > various ages of compilers.
> This is bit unclear as they are mentioned in 4.1 documentation but they
> are earlier. I did not dig exact date, a first mention of
> compare_and_swap in git log is here so we could start from that.
That it's present on some architectures in a particular version doesn't
mean it's available (in that version, or at all) on all architectures
glibc supports; it's very architecture-specific.
Joseph S. Myers