Re: compiler standards (and/or min gcc version) supported with installedheaders ?

On 01/03/2013 09:49 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
On 01/03/2013 11:59 AM, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
On Thu, 3 Jan 2013, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

right now, I would only mention GCC as supported compiler - and add
others only if somebody steps up that is using that compiler and will
take care of the support on glibc. nevertheless, I would be
conservate and handle GCC extensions as extensions - something we
need to test for before using it.

Well in that case then the GLIBC_HAVE_BUILTIN_MEMSET is *assumed* since we support only GCC, and versions 2.91 or newer always have that builtin, so the code can be cleaned up?

Did I understand that correctly?

No. The point is that there should be feature tests before extensions are used in installed headers. I'd say 2.95 as minimum compiler should mean that pre-2.95 GCC generally gets the non-GCC code if it doesn't have the relevant feature (rather than having special handling to use some other feature it might have that can substitute for the feature in newer GCC).

The clarifies it for me thanks.

Users can continue to use pre-2.95 GCC, but will get generic code.

Carlos, could you review my latest revision of the text whether it's clear now?

Thanks,
Andreas