Re: Smoke test for glibc

Carlos O'Donell wrote:
On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 9:00 AM, Andrey Ponomarenko
<aponomarenko@rosalab.ru> wrote:
I've recently written an article [1] about smoke testing of Glibc API using
a modern approach. This kind of test is needed to verify that most of the
library functions pass a simple test in the particular environment, i.e.
don't crash, don't emit any signal, don't hang and don't exit with non-zero
error code. The test generator takes only a path to the installed glibc tree
in order to compose input arguments for all functions (reasonable in most,
but unfortunately not all, cases) and then create, build and run the test
cases.

I've added a link to this article on the Release Process page (section 5.6.
Testing), so that glibc maintainers can run this additional test when
preparing the release and look at the behaviour of all functions under the
smoke test. The sample test report for 2.16 looks like this one [2].
Andrey,

Thanks! This looks very interesting.

Will you continue to work on getting these results clean for glibc?

Going through 154 failed testcases from the smoke test is not something
that I want a release manager to be doing.

The test generator has an option to correct the test cases. It's a file with specialized types [1], that instruct generator to initialize arguments of the related data types in the correct way. I will try to write such spec-types for these 154 functions or/and improve the source code of the test generator.

For now we just can check if the number of failed tests is not greatly increased in the new release.

Thanks.

[1] http://ispras.linuxbase.org/index.php/Specialized_Type

--
Andrey Ponomarenko, ROSA Lab.