Re: PING: PATCH: [BZ #14562] Properly handle fencepost withMALLOC_ALIGN_MASK

On Mon, 24 Sep 2012, H.J. Lu wrote:

> > * When you check in a fix for a bug, remember to update that bug in
> > Bugzilla.
> >

> The bug was opened against 2.16 and I will close it after 2.16 is
> fixed.

In such a case you should still update the bug to say that it's fixed in a
specified commit (so no-one going through bugs has their time wasted
trying to reproduce / fix it on mainline) and explain why you haven't
closed the bug.  Remember that we don't currently have an automated system
to detect bug references in commits, and even if we had one it wouldn't
give the important information about *how* a commit relates to the bug
mentioned (whether it is thought to be a full fix, or only fixes part of
the problem) which only a human updating the bug can give.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com