Re: More bug fixing needed

On 31/08/12 00:28, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>
>> One thing we might do is have a bug triage day and time. Say Thursday afternoon
>> we get together on IRC at a particular time and do a group triage, talk about
>> the bugs and work through N bugs in 30 minutes.
>>
>> I think this would help get us into the habit of doing triage.
>>
>> Comments?
>
> I guess triage might reduce the open bugs by 10% or so, by identifying
> bugs that have in fact been fixed (with or without reference to the bug
> number in the ChangeLog) but not closed as such, bugs where we can
> conclude that the report is mistaken or the requested change not
> desirable, and bugs that lack sufficient information to confirm or
> reproduce them and where this was noted a while back without response from
> the submitter (whether or not explicitly in WAITING state).  There may
> also be some bugs with patches attached that can go in more or less as is
> (no copyright assignment issues, no need for extra testcases, etc.) and
> just need retesting and submitting to libc-alpha.  And triage can also
> help confirm bugs that may not have clear testcases or conclusions about
> whether they are valid.
>
> But where a bug needs a patch to be written to fix it, that fixing
> (complete with testsuite additions and writing up the bug and the approach
> taken to fix it) is unlikely to be possible within 30 minutes; I generally
> expect even pretty straightforward bugs to take longer than that to
> complete fixing.

I just went through the bug tracker and there are 70+ bugs with proposed
patches (not including the locale bugs).  So I guess that is a good
place to start...

I have seen a few that I think are good to apply.  What is the protocol
to get these reviewed here?  Should I just post them here with an added
changelog entry if needed?

Allan