Re: Avoid use of libgcc_s and libgcc_eh when building glibc

On Thu, 31 May 2012, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> > It works for many targets - I routinely build tools for ARM, MIPS, Power,
> > x86 like that.
>
> building gcc w/out glibc headers using --without-headers hasn't worked for me
> in quite a long time.  4.6.x was the last one i checked, but haven't bothered
> since as i can now install glibc headers (albeit with a shotgun and a crap ton
> of forced _cv_ vars) first.

In my experience it works reliably.  You may need --with-newlib (as well
as --without-headers), as --with-newlib is the unfortunate option spelling
that really means --enable-inhibit-libc.

> > As Roland noted in
> > <http://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2012-03/msg00960.html>, ideally you
> > could configure GCC only *once*.  It may take more work to get there, but
> > having a *clean* process (no steps involving installing particular files
> > manually) with only two GCC builds and glibc configured only once is still
> > a useful improvement on the way there.
>
> i'm not sure we could configure gcc once considering the other targets
> (fortran/etc...) need to do a lot of library checking for available
> functionality.

You'd configure toplevel and build and install the host-side programs and
the minimal libgcc.  Then go back later and do "make" to configure and
build the full libgcc and the other libraries.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com