Re: Remove sysdeps/powerpc/soft-fp

On Fri, 18 May 2012, Ryan S. Arnold wrote:

> I'm fine with this being removed but I'm curious as to how/why this
> was every added in the first place.

It was presumably added in order to implement part of the PowerPC SysV ABI
(the 1995 document describing the ABI for PowerPC Solaris), before the
decision was made to use IBM long double instead of the IEEE quad long
double for which these functions were specified.  That ABI was of course a
hard-float ABI and these functions were only being built for
soft-float....

> I'm not sure what to do about the __fe_mask_env and __fe_nomask_env issue.

Any comments from anyone else?  Should we make the ABI baselines reflect
that __fe_nomask_env was accidentally removed for nofpu (probably in
2007), or add back a stub version in GLIBC_2.1?  I think both these
functions are internal functions that should never be called directly (and
__fe_mask_env, despite the declaration in the installed bits/fenv.h, isn't
exported from libm for either fpu or nofpu configurations).  (So in either
case I think we should move the declarations to some internal header.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com