This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Remove pre-2.2 Linux kernel support
- From: Ryan Arnold <rsa at us dot ibm dot com>
- To: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 18:06:37 -0500
- Subject: Re: Remove pre-2.2 Linux kernel support
- References: <Pine.LNX.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: rsa at us dot ibm dot com
On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 19:46 +0000, Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> Current glibc is unlikely to work with any Linux kernel before 2.6.x,
> and it seems uncontroversial that support for kernels before 2.4.x is
> certainly no longer useful.
> I propose this patch to remove compatibility code for kernels before
> 2.2.x as a first step in cleaning up the no-longer-useful old kernel
> support. Tested x86. Could the powerpc, sh and sparc maintainers
> test and review the changes to their architectures' code? Because
> this patch with lots of reindentation may not be very readable, I've
> also attached a diff -w version.
I tested PowerPC (32) and PowerPC64 and don't notice any new failures
(except for conformtest make check failures, but I think those are
Ryan S. Arnold
IBM Linux Technology Center