Re: Cross-rpcgen patch, version 6

On Tue, 8 May 2012, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 08, 2012 14:53:28 Joseph S. Myers wrote:
> > Here is the latest version of the cross-rpcgen changes, updated for
> > current glibc.
>
> Will it still build rpcgen (reviewing the patch I think it does)? Many
> distros are currently reverting the patch that make sunrpc internal only
> and might need to continue doing so - so we install rpcgen as well.

Yes, it will build and install rpcgen but also build (not install)
cross-rpcgen which will be used in the build to build the rpcgen-generated
headers and librpcsvc sources.

I'd hope that eventually the libtirpc project may maintain rpcgen and
librpcsvc and provide the rpcgen-generated headers instead of glibc - but
as I understand it, first it still needs to be enhanced to provide all the
RPC features that glibc no longer does, so it is a genuine complete
replacement for that functionality in glibc.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com