Re: Use .S sources for x86/x86_64 expl

On Sat, 5 May 2012, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> The idea was to be able to share the file between i386 and x86-64. When I
> ported glibc to x86-64, I added those files where it was easy to do such a
> mix. Duplication in general is bad.
>
> If this mix now makes things too complicated, then I'm fine with reversing it,
> and thus the patch is fine.

Where things can be shared by use of .c files, I think sharing by use of a
suitable set of macros in .S files would generally be better (maybe in
some cases with #if conditions directly in the source files).

I do intend to make exp10l use the expl sources (with a macro such as
USE_AS_EXP10L, similar to those in various string functions) as part of
fixing various exp10 problems.  It may also be possible to make expm1l
share the bulk of the expl sources.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com