Re: Bugzilla: Version = unspecified vs. trunk?

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 1:39 PM, Joseph S. Myers
<joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2012, Roland McGrath wrote:
>
>> > Presumably your idea is that trunk bugs reflect some transient defect in
>> > the source tree, but I don't think that's the normal case.
>>
>> If a bug existed in the most recent release, then its version field should
>> cite that release rather than trunk. ?It's certainly useful for the bug to
>
> I think that's the source of the confusion; I'd think the rule would be:
> test with the most recent version you conveniently have to hand, and if
> that's trunk then report it against trunk. ?(The expectation would be that
> many past releases would likely be affected as well in most cases, but the
> extent to which past releases are affected would be something to be
> considered later if it looks like the fix might be good to backport.)

I agree.

That seems to call for having a "trunk" version in bugzilla.

I don't think we need to go through *all* "trunk" bugs before a
release, since that's not always possible. However, it will be an
important part of a pre-release process.

I don't think migrating them to a different version is a good idea either.

IMO we need to follow a normal triage routine when dealing with them.

Cheers,
Carlos.