GNU Hurd status (was: Fixes for 2.15.1)

Hi!

On Thu, 23 Feb 2012 11:15:46 -0800 (PST), Roland McGrath <roland@hack.frob.com> wrote:
> > Also, I didn't look at whether any Hurd changes should be backported;
>
> I'll leave that at tschwinge's discretion.  The only Hurd changes have been
> bug fixes, but I don't think anybody is close to using an unmodified glibc
> on Hurd anyway.

Quite right...  (There's not really any use in backporting patches.)

So, I just looked it up --
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hurd/glibc.git/refs/heads> -- we
currently have 86 topic branches in our working repository (I was myself
surprised by that number...), of various complexity, and that is still
mostly based on something like glibc 2.14, thus some more are to come, to
fix up changes for GNU Hurd that have committed to the glibc master
branch.

Roland, how can we come up with a scheme to get (a large part of) these
into glibc upstream?  Evidently, you still do patch review for the easy
ones, but what about the more difficult ones, which we're carrying with
us for a long time already, and which are absolutely essential?  Such as
TLS support, for example.

It would be very nice if we could build glibc out of the box, as the
management of all these topic branches --
<http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/source_repositories/glibc.html> -- is
taking quite some time that could really be spent in better ways.

GrÃÃe,
 Thomas