Use of assignments in Bugzilla

In the course of triaging and fixing open glibc bugs - something that
could certainly do with more people working on it - it's become clear that
the vast bulk of bugs in glibc Bugzilla are "assigned" to someone who is
neither working on them nor has any intention of working on them any time
soon.

I've generally removed those misleading assignments when reviewing a bug -
that is, reassigned to unassigned@sourceware.org (much the same as GCC
bugs default to being assigned to unassigned@gcc.gnu.org, since Bugzilla
seems to want *something* in the assigned-to field).  I propose that we
adopt an understanding of the assigned-to information as follows:

* A bug being assigned to someone indicates that have an intention to work
on a fix in the reasonably near future.

* If a bug is also ASSIGNED (rather than NEW), that indicates the person
is actively working on a fix.

* If you simply think someone will be interested in a bug, CC rather than
assigning them unless they have specifically asked to be assigned.

* Components should no longer have bugs default-assigned to particular
individuals (that is, unassigned@sourceware.org should be the default
assignment); rather, people should choose when to assign bugs to
themselves when they have some specific intention with regard to a
specific bug.  (Note I don't have the Bugzilla powers to make such a
configuration change.)

* The default-assignments should be removed from existing open bugs.
Rather than just removing them all blindly, it's better actually to look
at a bug enough to decide you think it is a real issue still present in
the current code, but that you're not going to fix it right now, and to
decide if it's in the correct component, if possible, and to remove the
assignment at the same time as making any comment you wish to make on the
bug.  (That is, removing default assignments is better done as part of
triage than separately touching each bug for both purposes.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com