__USE_STRING_INLINES not available with g++ compiler ?

Hello,
(please CC me on replies, since I'm not on this list)

I did some optimization testings with our source code and run across the __USE_STRING_INLINES define.
In /usr/include/string.h the other headers with the inline assembler code <bits/string.h>, <bits/string2.h> and <bits/string3.h> (on i386)  are not included if the g++ compiler is used (it's surrounded by #if !defined __cplusplus...).

My main question is: Is there any good reason why the g++ compiler is generally excluded from this type of assembler inlining optimization ?

FYI, I did some testing with a hand-modified gcc/g++-compilable version of <bits/string.h> on i686 (with the old gcc2.95 compiler). Everything compiled and worked well, and I gained around 3%-4% speed improvement in an internal SAP SD-Benchmark (http://www.sap.com/benchmark/) run.
So, if there are no objections against using this optimization with g++ as well, would the glibc team accept a patch ?

Helge Deller
SAP LinuxLab