Re: advise on future of glibc (mktime issue)

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005, Jairo Medina announced authoritatively:
> Nix wrote:
>>Am I missing something? If not, I'll whip up a patch that does that
>>(against HEAD, as this is unlikely to be suitable for the stable branch:
>>I can roll one against 2.3.5 anyway, if Jairo wants).
>>
>    I believe I read somewhere in the kernel that the kernel knows the
>    difference in seconds from GMT. I have to search for it, but I
>    think I saw this on the kernel time tracking sections.

Theoretically it should, but this is torpedoed by the fact that
different users may be in different timezones, so timezone is *at best*
a per-process attribute, and processes may change locale and timezone at
will. (Consider a hypothetical thread-pooling FTP server which can show
file times in the timezone of the remote user.)

>     Your proposed solution sounds like a very good compromise. If you
>     roll it against 2.3.5 I can try it and send you the results.

I'll whip something up today or tomorrow.

--
`It's as bizarre an intrusion as, I don't know, the hobbits coming home
 to find that the Shire has been taken over by gangsta rappers.'