This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Inconsistent behavior of ld.so
- From: "H. J. Lu" <hjl at lucon dot org>
- To: Ulrich Drepper <drepper at redhat dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sources dot redhat dot com>
- Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 14:12:19 -0700
- Subject: Re: Inconsistent behavior of ld.so
- References: <20030917195728.GA11766@lucon.org> <3F68CC01.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 02:02:57PM -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> H. J. Lu wrote:
> > When a versioned definition is moved from one DSO to another, ld.so may
> > or may not give an error depending on where the definition is moved to.
> The current behavior is intended. We've experimented a lot with others
> and this is the best.
It is unreliable and you can't depend on it for anything. You can't use
it to prevent or allow moving a versioned definition to another DSO. It
only slows down the dynamic linker and causes unnecessary confusion.