Re: use CPPFLAGS at configure time

> Precisely, CPPFLAGS is not propagated to the Makefiles.  That's a bug,
> but not the bug I'm trying to fix here.

Because libc's needs are so unusual, it is probably not practical to supply
true cpp flags and have them do anything useful for the libc build.
Nonetheless, I would not object to changing this.

> The bug I'm trying to fix here is that C compiles, and even
> preprocessing, aren't always using CPPFLAGS in the configure tests.

I have checked in configure changes to make it consistent throughout.

> I'm out of options.

You are trying to wedge in a special case that does not fit into the GNU
conventions properly.  We won't help with that.  If you want to get the
special case CC hackery into Autoconf, we won't stop you.

> The convention is actually that:

To what do you refer when you speak definitively about "the convention"?
I am talking about GNU conventions agreed upon by the GNU project, and when
not explicitly specified what the long-term and widespread traditions have
been, not what Autoconf or Automake happens to do today.