This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: Statically linked binary way way too big
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at redhat dot com>
- To: martin at v dot loewis dot de (Martin v. Loewis)
- Cc: vda at port dot imtp dot ilyichevsk dot odessa dot ua, libc-alpha at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:48:21 -0700
- Subject: Re: Statically linked binary way way too big
> It can, if the module has been compiled with
> -ffunction-sections. However, for glibc, this is not an issue, because
> no module contains more than one function.
This is not true, though ideally it should be. The worst offender is
malloc, which is all in one huge module and so all the unused cruft gets
linked into every static program. This is truly unacceptable because
malloc_stats calls fprintf and so the malloc module brings in all of stdio.