Re: linuxthreads, POSIX 1003.1j and CLOCK_MONOTONIC

Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 12:19, Tom Gall wrote:
>
> > We are planning on getting this implemented in the next couple of
> > months. Basically we're working on getting the rest of the
> > POSIX Realtime Options that are currently NOT implemented, implemented.
>
> And this should in some way be positive?  That you even think about
> implementing CLOCK_MONOTONIC shows that you didn't even try to
> understand the issues.  This clock cannot be implemented without
> breaking the ABI.

What is needed is the high-res-timers patch in the kernel,
which provides kernel support for CLOCK_MONOTONIC as well as
other nice things.  We are trying to get this into the 2.5
kernel.

On the other hand, we need the linux threads package to
support "thread groups" to help sort out the signal issues
as well as some of the thread creation on timer expire
stuff.

I would caution against doing much more in glibc with out
the kernel support.  The problem is that all this needs to
be supported AND some of what ends up in glibc with out
kernel support will be a "wort" in glibc after kernel
support just to support a feature that few folks use or
need.
--
George Anzinger   george@mvista.com
High-res-timers: