Re[2]: DLOPEN and Statically linked executable

Hello Steve,

>> At MySQL we use patched version of GLIBC for MySQL binary
>> distribution and so have to compile it statically.  This patched
>> version of GLIBC is must to handle high load, it uses smaller thread
>> stack size instead of default 2M and has  different mutex handling,
>> so less context switches will happen in case of MySQL and will give
>> better performance.

SM> Have you considered linking shared and using LD_PRELOAD to override
SM> any functions that are you would normally get from libc.so?

Unfortunately there is one more reason why we ship statically linked
MySQL. We want most of our users to use as similar configuration as
possible.  From the group of users which have compiled MySQL
themselves we have more then half of bug reports, which are caused by
bad build environment or GLIBC. There are a lot of different
Distributions having various patched GLIBC versions shipped so it gets
almost impossible to test all possible cases.

--
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/?ref=mpza