This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: mmap stdio breaks GNU ld
- From: Roland McGrath <roland at frob dot com>
- To: drepper at redhat dot com (Ulrich Drepper)
- Cc: Bruno Haible <haible at ilog dot fr>, libc-alpha at sources dot redhat dot com
- Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 18:07:38 -0500 (EST)
- Subject: Re: mmap stdio breaks GNU ld
> It is wrong to assume anything about the position of the file
> descriptor after fopen(). The standard dosn't guarantee anything.
However, many programs over the years have assumed it and it has always
been true. Such assumptions are likely to produce subtle problems. I
think we should preserve the property of fopen not moving the file position
for the sake of compatibility.