This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
- To: Ulrich Drepper <drepper at cygnus dot com>
- Subject: Re: __libc_ia64_register_backing_store_base
- From: Jeff Sturm <jsturm at one-point dot com>
- Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:51:53 -0400 (EDT)
- cc: rth at cygnus dot com, java-patches at gcc dot gnu dot org, libc-alpha at sourceware dot cygnus dot com
On 29 Aug 2001, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> firstname.lastname@example.org writes:
> > A temporary workaround for bohem-gc is attached, but I think the
> > proper solution is to move the init of this variable into libc.
> > Specifically, into _dl_start_user for ld.so, and __libc_init_first
> > for the static libc. Uli, this seem right to you?
> Does this mean the GC is starting to do some work before the
> constructors are run? This seems just wrong. If not all constructors
> have finished their work the system is not yet in a consistent state
> and things like this can happen. Note that this variable is set
> before the applications constructors are run so the latter are fine.
There has been at least one proposal to kill static initializers in
The patch defers GC startup until after all static constructors, but it
was never installed. IIRC the concern was thread safety in class