Re: GCC 3.0 and GLIBC don't work together

Hi,

Andreas Jaeger wrote:

> Richard Henderson <rth@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 04:38:31PM +0200, Andreas Jaeger wrote:
> >> Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> >> _dl_lookup_versioned_symbol (undef_name=0x4015bdba "__deregister_frame_info_bases"...
> >
> > A crash in _dl_lookup_versioned_symbol, whatever the actual
> > symbol involved, would appear to be a glibc problem.
>
> But this is GCC related:
> - it worked with previous GCC versions and all earlier snapshots
> - it references a symbol in GCC that went in just a short time before
>   this fails.
>
> It might be a bug in glibc and but it was caused by a change in GCC.
>
> I'd also like to have this recorded (perhaps for Mark's release notes)
> that GLIBC cannot be compiled with GCC 3.0.
>
> Let's fix glibc now,

As an end user (a very satisfied user, indeed!) of both glibc2.2.x and Gcc a very basic
question comes to my mind: which is the best version of Gcc to build glibc2.2.3 *right
now*??

I'm asking this because, on the other hand, I remember pretty well some postings by Ulrich
Drepper in the libc-alpha, suggesting that some functionalities of glibc2.2.x may be broken
if compiled with Gcc2.95.x (please correct me if my recollections are wrong!)

Thanks,
Paolo Carlini.