pthread_create() returning EINTR? (glibc-2.1.3, Linux x86 kernel 2.2.15, gcc-2.95.2)

I've got a program which spawns threads that listen on sockets.  After
running for a while, and opening and closing a lot of sockets, and
starting a lot of threads, pthread_create() returns -1 with errno set to
EINTR.  EINTR isn't listed on pthread_create()'s man page, though I know
what it is after using select().

Once it starts returning EINTR, no more threads can be created.  I also
see this:

BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER ld.so: dl-runtime.c: 67: fixup: Assertion
`((reloc->r_info) & 0xff) == 7' failed!

At this point I'm going to assume that I've either corrupted some data
structure, or run out of some critical system resource.  Any ideas?

Please CC me if you have any advice.  I get the libc-alpha digest, but
it usually doesn't come out until the day after.

--
George T. Talbot
<george at moberg dot com>