Re: Angel not present

Hi Fernando,

>1) A bug in the ARM AEB board (used to sell at $150 -- now discontinued)
>where the board disrespected the documented protocol and the client code

I am informed that this is a long-standing bug in Angel. I am personally
experiencing great fragility with the Atmel AT91EB40 board, so I know it's
not limited to the firmware in the AEB. The Atmel kit seems to include
Angel sources (haven't looked closely), so I guess I could try to fix it,
but (see below) why bother...

>2) Old versions of Cygwin had a problem with the serial port.  The

I have observed this problem with Cygwin 1.1.8, which is the currently
downloadable version. It can be alleviated a _little_ by disabling FIFOs on
the host-side's serial port. However the debugging link is still very, very
fragile, especially in Win9x.

Everything I have been told by other ARMers indicates that this is due to
bugs in Angel. In fact, I haven't heard anyone with a positive word to say
about Angel; Atmel FAEs, other embedded engineers... So once I get some
spare time I will port gdb stubs to the EB40 (someone has already done an
unsupported port to the AT91EB01 and the boards are almost identical).

>3) GDB 5.0 (now very old) also had problems in ARM support.  If I am not
>mistaken, the higher speeds were missing from the Target Selection
>dialog.  We are having to recommend a recent GDB snapshot for whoever is
>debugging ARM (specially with Angel) until GDB 5.1 is out.

I'll have to try that; I am currently using 5.0.

=== Lewin A.R.W. Edwards (Embedded Engineer)
Work: http://www.digi-frame.com/
Personal: http://www.zws.com/ and http://www.larwe.com/

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein,
Nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."