Re: Using Insight with ACE+TAO

"Nicoll, Mark" wrote:

> Hi
>
> I like the look and feel of insight

Thanks!

>so I was hoping to use it for debugging my application which uses ACE and TAO (http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/TAO.html). The problem is that it core dumps my application.
>
> I'm running on Solaris 2.7 I've compiled with the correct version of gcc (2.95.2). My source and ACE+TAO is compiled with the same gcc with debugging symbols.
>
> I load up my application and I can step through and set breakpoints etc, although it is a bit slow, which I assume is due to the size of the ACE+TAO library. It crashes when I want to look at some of the class structures in the local variables window. The mouse pointer turns into the watch symbol and it hangs for a couple of minutes and then crashes.
>
> Is there anything you could suggest that might help. I can run it through the non insight gdb no problem.

Yes, but you can crash it without the GUI as well if you issue the
appropriate command (equivalent to the operation used by the GUI
implementation).

This is a known bug and there is a patch that fixes this. (It is a loop
when looking for a C++ symbol. I saw the patch in the gdb-patches list,
maybe a couple of months ago (or was it more recently?).  You can locate
it by looking at that list archive.

Or else get a new gdb+insight snapshot and give it a try.  The fix has
been incorporated into the sources already.

--
Fernando Nasser
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300