Re: cross-compile: patch for configure.in

Jan Nieuwenhuizen <janneke@gnu.org> writes:

> Urg, this look like magic.  The manual doesn't mention it,

The manual mentions everything except the names of particular
cache variables... and one can find them by looking at
config.cache.

> and I verified that you do need to specify the default:
>
>    , $ac_cv_sizeof_int)
>
> if you use SITE_CONFIG, and are not cross-compiling (ie, use cc).

Really?  Here are the files I tested with:

=== configure.in
AC_INIT(configure.in)
AC_CONFIG_HEADER(config.h)

AC_PROG_CC
AC_CHECK_SIZEOF(int)

AC_OUTPUT()

=== config.h.in
#undef SIZEOF_INT

=== site-init
ac_cv_sizeof_int=5

===

In the shell:

kalle@PC486:/tmp/kalle$ autoconf
configure.in:5: warning: AC_TRY_RUN called without default to allow cross compiling
kalle@PC486:/tmp/kalle$ CONFIG_SITE=/tmp/kalle/site-init ./configure
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking size of int... (cached) 5
updating cache ./config.cache
creating ./config.status
creating config.h
kalle@PC486:/tmp/kalle$ cat config.h
/* config.h.  Generated automatically by configure.  */
#define SIZEOF_INT 5
kalle@PC486:/tmp/kalle$

The value set in site-init was used even without the second
argument of AC_CHECK_SIZEOF.  Did you get different results?