Re: popen behavior - interactive processes

> Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:34:34 -0500
> From: Allister MacLeod <glamdring@mv3d.com>
>
> > Bidirectional ports are supported,
> > (open-file "lkjdf" "w+") for example.
>
> Figured so.. is it possible to make one by pasting together an input
> and and output port, or would that just be a silly waste of effort?

That's how the run-with-pipe in goosh handles it.  Of course you've then
got to pick the right port whenever using the usual I/O procedures.

> > The problem with running interactive processes like /bin/sh is they
> > often want to interact over a pty, not a pipe.  guile-core doesn't
> > currently have pty support (an old version guile-iii, circa 1995,
> > did have it, based on Emacs code.  greg, from ftp.gnu.org,
> > has added pty support for its own purposes.
>
> It's not currently in guile-core because of wanting to keep guile-core
> clean and lean and mean?

I guess that's the main reason against adding it now.  Scsh originally
couldn't have been included because of its copyright, but the latest
version has switched to GPL.