Glade (Re: Emacs with Guile )

Sascha Ziemann <szi@aibon.ping.de> writes:

> | It sounds great.  So we can use Glade to design a GUI, and then
> | control it by writing scheme scripts?
>
> Glade is based on the idea, that your GUI is static and does not
> change.  You specify a GUI with Glade, save it in an XML file and run
> at the beginning of your program a "build GUI from XML".

Not necessarily true. In Gnumeric, we build the dialogs from XML each
time they are displayed. We could cache them, of course, but just now
we don't.

It's possible to make the XML GUI description files programmatically,
although I don't know if anybody has done so.

I guess it would be easy to make an s-exp reader for libglade, in
addition to the XML reader. That would save lisps from the chore of
producing XML. Don't know if that's much of a problem in practice,
though.

Jon