Re: About modules

Jost writes:

   Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:

   > > entry in another environment.  We still need an observer mechanism,
   > > but per-entry rather than per-environment.
   > to announce each binding change individually; the code to track that
   > seems more complex and error-prone than my proposal.  But that's just
   > an intuition; I'd be interested in seeing evidence otherwise.

   I think these are two pair of shoes.  What Neil is really talking
   about is (I think) that we need a mechanism to import and observe
   only specific bindings from one environment.  This would solve
   a problem that your proposal currently has: the `conflict-procī.

Sort of, yes.  I was really just voicing my impression that the Rees'
module system (which seems quite promising to me) has more of a
name-centric flavour than an environment-centric flavour.  Others may
have different impressions.

We would still need a mechanism for resolving conflicts at the module
system level, though, since two interfaces can export the same name.

    Neil